phototherapy has been effectively used as a relatively inexpensive and non-invasive method of treating neonatal hyperbilirubinemia. It refers to the use of light to convert bilirubin molecules in the body into water soluble isomers that can be excreted by the body. The aim of phototherapy is to decrease the level of unconjucated bilirubin in order to prevent acute bilirubin enephlalopathy, hearing loss and kernicterus.
Phototherapy works by changing the bilirubin in the skin into a form that will not cause deafness or brain damage. Your baby needs phototherapy until the level of bilirubin has dropped to a safer level. Your baby needs regular blood tests to measure the bilirubin level. Babies usually have phototherapy treatment for 48 hours, but often longer for bilirubin levels that remain high.
- HISTORY OF PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE
- WHAT ARE THE MECHANISM OF PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE
- WHY PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE IS USED
- WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF PHOTOTHERAPY
- Standard phototherapy
- Intensive phototherapy
- WHAT ARE THE VARIOUS TYPES OF LIGHT SOURCE IN PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE
- Halogen based phototherapy lamps
- Fluorescent tubes
- Fiberoptic phototherapy
- L.E.D. phototherapy system
- FACTORS AFFECTING PHOTOTHERAPY
- WHAT ARE THE TECHNIQUES OF PHOTOTTHERAPY
- WHAT ARE THE NURSING CARE OF PHOTOTHERAPY
- WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE
- PHOTOTHERAPY TREATMENT FOR JAUNDICE
- PROS AND CONS OF PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE
- TOP 5 MODELS OF PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE
- 1O BEST PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE PRICE
- Which websites are best for buying phototherapy machines?
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
- FINAL THOUGHTS
HISTORY OF PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE
The use of phototherapy was first discovered, accidently, at Rochford Hospital, England, when a nurse, Sister Jean Ward, noticed that babies exposed to sunlight had reduced jaundice, and a pathologist, Dr. Perryman, who noticed that a vial of blood left in the sun had turned green.
WHAT ARE THE MECHANISM OF PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE
- Blue – green light in the range of 460-490 nm is most effective for phototherapy.
- The absorption of light by the normal bilirubin (4Z,15Z-bilirubin) generates configuration isomers, structural isomers, and photo oxidation products.
The two principal photo isomer formed in humans Configurational isomerization is reversible and much faster than structural isomerization. Structural isomerization is slow and irreversible.
- photooxidation occurs more slowly than both configurational and structural isomerization. photooxidation products are excreted mainly in urine.
WHY PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE IS USED
- it is used when level of bilirubin may be hazardous to the infant.
- Prophylactic phototherapy may be indicated in circumstances like extremely low birth weight or severely bruised infants.
- Atopic dermatitis
- Mycosis fungoides
- Palmoplantar pustulosis
- Pityriasis alba
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF PHOTOTHERAPY
There are two main types of phototherapy
it is provided at an irradiance of 8-10 microwatts per square centimeter per nanometer.
it is provided at an irradiance of (430-490 nm). for intensive phototherapy, an auxiliary light source should be placed under the infant. the auxiliary light source could include a fiber-optic pad, a light-emitting diode (LED) mattress, or a bank of special blue fluorescent tubes.
WHAT ARE THE VARIOUS TYPES OF LIGHT SOURCE IN PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE
Halogen based phototherapy lamps
Halogen-based spot lights are the most heat producing of all the available phototherapy lights. care must be taken not to place the devices closer to the infant than recommended by the manufacturer to avoid overheating the infant.
fluorescent tubes used to deliver phototherapy have been classified as daylight, blue and special blue. the special blue fluorescent tubes were able to reliably emit light at more than 430-490 nm band.
fiberoptic phototherapy devices deliver light from a hifh intensity lamp to a fiberoptic blanket. these biliblanket devices are typically used in conjuction with overhead halogen, fluorescent, or LED system.
L.E.D. phototherapy system
L.E.D phototherapy systems, which user gallium nitride LEDs, are the newest devices used to provided phototherapy. Gallium nitride LEDs emit high-intensity light in the blue-green portion of the spectrum within a narrow wavelength (460-485 nm).
FACTORS AFFECTING PHOTOTHERAPY
The 3 factors that affect the does of phototherapy include
- The irradiance of light used
- The distance from the light sources
- The amount of skin exposed
WHAT ARE THE TECHNIQUES OF PHOTOTTHERAPY
- cover genitl area and eye of newborn to protect from radiation.
- Give the light 45 to 70 cm above the newborn reposition the newborn at interval of 2 hour to expose all body part of administered more amnt of fluid.
- Passing loose green stool and green urine is normal monitor temperature frequently.
- start phototherapy.
- frequent extra breast feeding every 2 hourly.
- turn baby after each feed.
- temperature recorded 2 to 4 hourly.
- weight recorded daily.
- monitor urine frequency.
- monitor bilirubin level.
WHAT ARE THE NURSING CARE OF PHOTOTHERAPY
- if intensive phototherapy is required then the nappy should be removed.
- keep the infant clean and dry.
- clean only with water do not apply oils or creams to the exposed skin.
- eucerin has been proven to be safe for use when the infant is receiving phototherapy.
- eye pads are required for the infants comfort if overhead white or blue fluorescent lights are used.
- eye pads should be removed 4 hourly and eye cares attended with normal saline.
- there have never been human studies showing that retinal damage occurs from with phototherapy.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE
- increased insensible water loss.
- loose stools.
- skin rash.
- bronze baby syndrome.
- upsets maternal baby interaction.
- may results in hypocalcemia.
PHOTOTHERAPY TREATMENT FOR JAUNDICE
PROS AND CONS OF PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE
- non-invasive and better then surgery.
- no total does limitation unlike radiotherapy.
- treatment is more specific towards cancer cells than healthy ones.
- cost effective and pain free.
- Mechanism of phototherapy depends upon oxygen, but most cancer cells are hypoxic in nature.
- patient sometimes feels severe sensitive towards sunlight or room light.
- its metabolites have long clearance time from the body, may be 5-6 weeks.
TOP 5 MODELS OF PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE
Meditrin LED Phototherapy For Neonatal (High End), 36 LED
- Meditrin LED Phototherapy For Neonatal (High End), 36 LED is a premium quality product from Meditrin. All Meditrin LED Phototherapy For Neonatal (High End), 36 LED are manufactured by using quality assured material and advanced techniques, which make them up to the standard in this highly challenging field.
- The materials utilized to manufacture Meditrin LED Phototherapy For Neonatal (High End), 36 LED are sourced from the most reliable and official vendors, chosen after performing detailed market surveys.
- Meditrin products are widely acknowledged in the market for their high quality. We are dedicatedly involved in providing an excellent quality array of Meditrin phototherapy machines.
Meditrin LED Phototherapy Machine For NICU
- Meditrin LED Phototherapy Machine For NICU is a premium quality product from Meditrin. All Meditrin LED Phototherapy Machine For NICU are manufactured by using quality assured material and advanced techniques, which make them up to the standard in this highly challenging field. The materials utilized to manufacture Meditrin LED Phototherapy Machine For NICU are sourced from the most reliable and official vendors, chosen after performing detailed market surveys. Meditrin products are widely acknowledged in the market for their high quality. We are dedicatedly involved in providing an excellent quality array of Meditrin phototherapy unit.
S.S. Technomed Sunshine Phototherapy Unit, Single Surface
- This was achieved by exposing the infant to bright light (approximately 4.5 micro watts / sq cm / nm) in the range of 420-480 nm wave length using conventional phototherapy unit, which for many years has been one of the most important focus of SS TECHNOMED in the field of neonatalogy.
- Technical specification:-
- • LED 9-12 hi power LED(blue)(white LED optional)
- • Irradiance > 42 mw / cm2/nm at 30 cm
- • Minimum lifespan of 25,000hrs.
- • Less than 10 percent shift in illumination after 25,000hrs (irradiance)
- • 420-480 nm wavelength• 6 hours < 10 percent change in intensity
- • 50 cm x 30 cm effective region.
Doctroid LED Phototherapy Machine (Upper Surface)
- This phototherapy machine for jaundice is a premium quality jaundice phototherapy machine. This phototherapy device is manufactured by using quality assured material and advanced techniques, which make them up to the standard in this highly challenging field. You can use this phototherapy machine in hospitals.
- Product Specifications:-
- Slim LED Photo Therapy
- 16 Led In Photo Therapy.
- 458 nm PICK wavelength
- Low power consumption
- Hight up-down and 360DIgree Rotatable.
- Easy Transportable
- Power Led.
- 50,000 Hour Life Led
- Ms Coated Body
S.S Technomed Phototherapy Unit Double Surface LED
- In the newborn period i.e. birth to one month, jaundice can pose a serious problem, because the high level of the bilirubin, which is not water-soluble, can be decomposed to a harmless metabolic which is water-soluble, does not cross the blood-brain barrier, and is rapidly excreted in the bile and urine and so does not accumulate. This has been achieved by exposing the infant to bright light (approximately 4.5 microwatts/sq cm/nm) in the range of 420-480 nm wavelength by use of conventional phototherapy unit has been one of SSTECHNOMED most important focus in the field of neonatology for many years.
- Technical Specification :
- • LED 9/12/15 hi power LEDs(blue)(white LED optional)
- • Irradiance >42 mw/cm2/nm at 30cm
- • Light source lifetime minimum 25,000hrs.
- • Less than 10% change in illumination after 25,000hrs(irradiance)
- • Wavelength 420-480 nm
- • Variation in intensity for 6 hours<10%
- • Effective area 50 cm X 30 cm.
1O BEST PHOTOTHERAPY MACHINE PRICE
|1.||PT 3103 Phototherapy Machine, Double Surface||₹78,981|
|2.||Zeal Medical PT6001 LED Phototherapy For Newborn||₹44,520|
|3.||Meditrin LED Phototherapy For Neonatal (High End), 36 LED||₹39,889|
|4.||S.S Technomed Phototherapy Unit Double Surface LED||₹102,574|
|5.||Hygeia 802 Radiant Warmer With LED Phototherapy||₹99,724|
|6.||Doctroid LED Photo Therapy Under Surface (Bilicure Smart UN)||₹25,643|
|7.||Doctroid India LED Phototherapy Machine With Timer (Bilicure Smart)||₹30,772|
|8.||S.S. Technomed Phototherapy Unit||₹56,415|
|9.||S.S. Technomed Sunshine Phototherapy Unit, Single Surface||₹59,834|
|10.||SS Technomed Sunshine Phototherapy Unit||₹31,968|
Which websites are best for buying phototherapy machines?
If you want to buy phototherapy machine, then you can buy it from the e-commerce website Hospital Store.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
Phototherapy Machine for Newborn price in India ranges between INR 25k to INR 1.25 lakh.
When it comes to stopping phototherapy, there is no such specific calculation that for how long phototherapy should be done for a newborn baby. Phototherapy may be necessary for 24 hours or less in certain situations, but it may also be required for 5 to 7 days in other situations.
Phototherapy is Divided Into Two Main Categories-
Standard phototherapy- it is provided at an irradiance of 8-10 microwats per square centimeter per nm.
Intensive phototherapy– it is provided at an irradiance of (430-490 nm). For intensive phototherapy, an auxiliary light source should be placed under the infant.
LED phototherapy systems, which employ gallium nitride LEDs, are the most recent phototherapy devices on the market. Within a restricted wavelength range, gallium nitride LEDs produce high-intensity light in the blue-green segment of the spectrum (460–485 nm). Compared to alternative phototherapy sources, LEDs have some advantages.
With proper supervision, “home phototherapy for newborn jaundice” can be done in the home. Only simple neonatal jaundice is treated with home phototherapy. Phototherapy at home for newborns has a number of advantages, including lower hospital expenses and increased mother-infant bonding.
As per the medical experts and professional doctors, phototherapy of newborns is highly safe which may have no long-term consequences in newborns. Although, these are some side effects and problems that have been found after the phototherapy to newborns: unintentional water loss is possible, evidence suggests the problem is not as serious as previously thought.
Phototherapy is safe inexpensive, efficient, and easy to use. With high intensity phototherapy, even severe hemolytic hyperbilirubinemia can be adequately controlled Phototherapy:
Does require medical attention because of its potential toxicity and the risk for kernicterus.
Guidelines for the initiation and duration of phototherapy have been published.